Scholarship honors late board member

April 9, 2010 SOUTHSIDE — The Southside High School career and technical program has established a scholarship fund in the memory of Robert Stephens Jr., who was killed March 17 in a car accident. Stephens served as a school board member for 10 years at Southside. Donations to the Robert Stephens Memorial Fund can be sent to the school at 70 Scott Drive Batesville, AR 72501, attention Jinger Massey. Donations need to be received by April 20, Massey said.

Wortham to run for coroner

April 9, 2010 CHEROKEE VILLAGE — Doug Wortham has announced his candidacy for Sharp County coroner.Wortham has served as deputy coroner in Fulton County for 10 years.Wortham is the manager of Heath Funeral Home in Highland, where he began work in 1989 in the capacity of embalmer and funeral director.He works as an emergency medical technician for Spring River Paramedic Ambulance Service in Cherokee Village. He finished a 48-hour paramedic refresher course at LSA Adder in Tallil, Iraq. He has served for 30 years in the U.S. Army and Army National Guard.

Fire chief wins award for service

April 9, 2010 CAVE CITY ­— The fire department at Cave City just keeps pulling in the honors.The department was named Volunteer Fire Department of the Year in Arkansas late last year, winning a $1,000 cash prize that was put toward its mobile command center that is to be used in the aftermath of disasters anywhere in the state.Now, the fire chief is being honored.

Cockrill backed for sheriff

April 9, 2010  In a brief meeting Thursday afternoon the Independence County Quorum Court Law Enforcement Committee announced Alan Cockrill as its choice to serve as interim sheriff following the resignation last week of Sheriff Keith Bowers.Bowers, who chose not to run for re-election this year, is taking a job in the private sector immediately and could not serve out his full term. His resignation is effective on Monday.The announcement to support Cockrill came following a 15-minute executive session by committee members.

Attempted murder, kidnap charges filed

April 9, 2010 A Concord man faces a charge of attempted murder, two of kidnapping and a charge of terroristic threatening after two Cleburne County women told officers he tried to kill them.Randall Wayne Reed, 26, is being held in the Cleburne County Jail in Heber Springs on $200,000 bond.Cleburne County Sheriff Marty Moss said his office was contacted by the Independence County Sheriff’s Office Monday in reference to two women, ages 25 and 32, who were at the emergency room in Batesville reporting that a man from the Concord area had tried to kill them.

Law change found; lotto budget edited

April 8, 2010 LITTLE ROCK (AP) — Arkansas’ lottery director said Wednesday he wasn’t aware that the Legislature changed how money from unclaimed prizes is to be managed — a move that required lottery officials to revise their 2011 budget.The revised lottery budget allocates $11 million less for scholarships and overall revenue is projected to drop by $14 million. However, the lottery has been taking in money above projections, and the original scholarship budget target of $116 million could still be met.

Christ of Ozarks won’t be named to register

April 8, 2010 LITTLE ROCK (AP) — A review board has rejected the nomination of the Christ of the Ozarks statue to the National Register of Historic Places because it isn’t old enough.Properties normally have to be at least 50 years old to be listed on the National Register. The statue of Jesus near Eureka Springs is 44 years old.The State Review Board of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program voted 6-5 Wednesday not to grant an exemption. Mark Christ, spokesman for the preservation program, says the 67-foot-tall statue should have no problem being nominated in 2015.

Mom in Facebook flap: Teenage son had been warned about postings

April 8, 2010 LITTLE ROCK (AP) — The mother of a 16-year-old boy said she was only being a good mom when she locked him out of his Facebook account after reading he had driven home at 95 mph one night because he was mad at a girl. His response: a harassment complaint at the local courthouse.“If I’m found guilty on this it is going to be open season” on parents, Denise New said Wednesday.

This goose may be cooked Lake safe again

April 8, 2010 HARRISON (AP) — Police say the nasty goose is gone and it is once again safe to visit Lake Harrison.Harrison police Capt. Paul Woodruff told the Harrison Daily Times that city workers went to the lake to capture the goose, which had been mounting air and ground attacks on park-goers. But people there told police two men had just grabbed the beast and left with it.Woodruff says he doesn’t know who the men were or what fate befell the goose.The goose would swoop down from the air or waddle up and bite. The reason is a mystery.